Organic materials in a house, such as wood, gypsum board paper, and dust in contact with water or humidity for more than 48 hours, become a breeding ground for mold growth.
Good ventilation can dry out moisture, but as soon as mold does appear, it quickly grows.
Molds are fungi that are invisible to the naked eye and are found in nature. Drafts, humans, and pets carry them into homes.
Organic matter and water allow mold to grow. When growing heavily, molds can cause health problems.
You can find mold in damp or poorly ventilated places in your home. They take the form of pale green to black patches and leave fluffy or powdery-looking deposits on walls, ceilings, rugs, around windows, and in wardrobes.
They give off a musty or earthy smell. They may not be apparent after water infiltration. If there are dark circles, warping, or flaking, the mold may be hidden behind the materials.
On the back of a material like wallpaper, mold can take the form of white filaments.
When mold is present, you should inspect your home.
Find out where the moisture is coming from. Perform minor repairs or maintenance work to correct leaks or have a qualified contractor perform repairs in the event of a major problem.
Check if the repairs corrected the problem. Applying paint to a mold stain only masks the problem and does not prevent the mold from spreading.
Once the presence of mold is noticed, it is recommended to discard or replace porous materials rather than partially cleaning them: drywall, ceiling tiles, fabrics, books, paper, and cardboard.
You may need to throw away rugs, cushions, furniture, mattresses, pillows, stuffed toys, or bedding.
On the other hand, non-porous or semi-porous materials can be cleaned and preserved: metal, glass, rigid plastics, wood, and concrete… if their structure is not compromised.
Also, if the humidity level exceeds 45% in a room, installing a dehumidifier can be a good way to control the situation.
Make sure that the roof, the siding, the attic, the gutters, the sealing of the joints, the drainage, in short, all the parts are in good condition.
The symptoms associated with exposure to molds vary from person to person and according to the other types of contaminants present in the home. However, the majority of these include:
• irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat;
• nasal discharge;
• sinus congestion;
• the increased frequency and severity of asthma attacks;
• chronic fatigue;
The cleaning method varies depending on the extent and severity of the damage.
For large remediation projects, that is, contaminated surfaces of more than 3 square meters or more than 100 square feet, you need to call in certified professionals.
For the contamination of heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment, you should also call in certified professionals.
Typically, decontamination projects are more focused on small to medium-sized areas. When vacuuming, use a High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter.
If mold seems to reappear after the area has been cleaned, you should call in certified professionals.
If the mold seems to appear on the wall after treatment, you might need to repaint the prone areas using anti-mold paint.
Generally, repainting the room it the best way to restore the aesthetics of the interior after removal and treatment.
If you’re planning for interior repainting to correct mold stain in Beaverton, Oregon, our team at Maller Painting Company can help.
We have years of interior painting experience serving the areas of Beaverton, Sherwood, and Tigard, Oregon.
Our team can help you choose the best type of paint as well and paint colors at no extra cost.